Thursday, February 20, 2014

Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Howdy, howdy!
I told you I had sweet treats in store for you!

Remember once I told you I had a friend with gluten issues?
Well, it was his birthday recently...
and we were headed to their house for Bible study...
and I couldn't very well show up empty handed, now could I?

So...I took some of these babies...and we all chowed down!


They're dark and moist.
Chocolatey and peanut buttery and oh so utterly...
good.


Actually, if you want to know the real truth...
while the cupcakes were pretty good...
I threatened to lick the frosting off of every last one...


Seriously...it was THAT good!
Oh my...I could eat it all day long with a spoon!
Or at least until I made myself sick.


It was the first time I'd made a peanut butter buttercream
and I can tell you...it certainly won't be the last!
The cupcakes were good, but the frosting makes all the difference!


Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
  • 1 1/2 cups GF All Purpose Baking Flour {from Bob's Red Mill}
  • 2 tbsp corn starch
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup PLUS 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened at room temp.
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla
  • 1 cup warm brewed coffee
  • 1 tsp cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cupcake liners into muffin tins...you'll need 24.
  2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. 
  3. Add butter, oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix until the batter has a crumbly texture.
  4.  Slowly add coffee and vinegar.  Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Fill cupcake liners about 1/2 to 2/3 full...you really should get 24. :)
  7. Bake for about 20 minutes...until they spring back when gently touched.
  8. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack
{This is basically the recipe from Bob's...
I added the chocolate chips because...well, why not?
And I adjusted the temp and baking time for cupcakes.}


Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 cup {2 sticks} butter, softened at room temp.
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  1. Cream butter until smooth.  Add vanilla and peanut butter and beat until creamy.
  2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, then gradually add more until you reach your desired consistency.
If you want to be able to pipe it, make sure it's firm enough to hold up. 
Use a large open star tip and swirl it on.
Sprinkle some extra mini chocolate chips on top for extra goodness.


My friend was thrilled!
He doesn't get home made GF goodies very often.
I think he may have swooned a little. :)

I took the extras to work and everyone loved them there, too!
{especially the frosting...hee hee}

We've gotten a little reprieve from winter around here for a few days.
It's been sooooo nice!
I hope the same is true for you guys
and that you have a fantastic weekend!

Very soon, I hope to be able to show you what
we did to our old TV entertainment center.
You wouldn't even  recognize it!
Until then...


Handing out spoons {for frosting!} here:

13 comments:

  1. Kelly- I just copied this recipe over to my files. That peanut butter frosting sounds decadent AND delightful! lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHH Kelly. I don't have a glutten problem- but I would scarf these down none the less. -I usually don't eat special ingredient food stuff, I feel it takes away from those that can't have all the other things I enjoy. But this would be an every man for himself desert LOL Thinking chocolate layer cake with pb buttercream this weekend.....Mine all Mine (unless you would like to stop by) Thanks for sharing! Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delectable! I have several GF friends, so I need to start stocking up on xanthum gum! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! LOVE this Kelly and I seriously can't believe these are G-free. Amazing! Totally need to try this, or, we have bible study on thursday nights you want to bring some over. :) I promise we will eat them.. hehe. :) Pinned these bad boys.

    Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats

    p.s. beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look totally scrumptious!! Found you at Link Party Palooza :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fabulous!!
    2 of my nephews are Gluten-free, and these would be a big hit
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your entertainment center. But not until I have some of these cupcakes first! Thanks for linking out at Made From Pinterest. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These seriously look incredible and I love that their gluten free! Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat link party!

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh so yummy looks delicious and what a treat to share
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look oh so yummy! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can't wait to see what you link up this week!
    Have a terrific week!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so yummy! Chocolate and peanut butter is the perfect combination and gluten free is an added bonus! Thanks for linking them up at Think Tank Thursday. I featured these cupcakes today. http://saving4six.com/2014/03/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-71.html

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.