Thursday, January 30, 2014

You Make My Heart Soar - Hot Air Balloon Art

Have I told you lately...that I love you?
NO, really.

Sometimes you guys leave the sweetest
comments and I just grin from ear to ear.
I know, I know...I suck at responding...
but sometimes it's just not my fault.

But that's a whole other post...seriously.

But I wanted you to know...
You Make My Heart Soar


Cheesy, right?
Sorry, sometimes I'm just all about cheese.

Anyway...a long, long time ago...when I was in college...
I mean waaaaaay back when...
like, aaaaaallllll of my friends were elementary ed majors.
Seriously, what's up with that?
Not me, I was gonna be Indiana Joanie.

But that's a story for another time...or never.


So, I had this friend who needed an awesome idea for a bulletin board display.
She was kind of obsessed with hot air balloons...
I think her psychiatrist father had something weird to say about that...
but I digress.

I came up with this fabulous plan for a 3D hot air balloon
and I totally wish I had a picture of it now.
We made giant strips of paper and laminated them
at the library and she stapled them to the board.
I don't remember all the details, come on, that was twe....a bunch of years ago.
A bunch.

Let me tell you...it was really something and a big hit.


I have attempted to recreate that in a smaller version here for you.
I used a 9X12 canvas, construction paper, twine,
paint, washi tape and a little ingenuity.

I painted the canvas all cream...then mixed some other colors, shown above...
in swirly patterns to mimic whimsical clouds and
repeated with some pinks for a truly Valentine-y sky.


This picture shows you the basic shapes I used for the balloon.
I didn't take a picture of the basket, sorry.
I hot glued them to the canvas to make the balloon shape.


A gold paint pen was the easiest to write the swirly words...
I can't really write letters with a paint brush. Ugh.

Then I brushed some paint mixture over them
so they were more blended and wispy.


The glitter circles are just cut from scrapbook
paper and used to cover the twine ropes.
I used the washi tape around the edge of the canvas,
but didn't get a great picture of it.


I thought about spraying the whole thing with some glitter spray,
but was concerned it might make the paper splotchy.
So I didn't...


Up, up, and away!
So, if you ever find yourself in need of a
gravity-defying idea for a bulletin board,
or just a bit of whimsy...I hope I've tweaked your imagination.


You're welcome! :)

Well, I hope your heart is soaring...high above the clouds.
In a pretty pink hot air balloon.

Come back next week!
I'm hoping to have Sara's bedroom reveal ready.
{that was the secret project!}

If not, I promise it will still be something great!


11 comments:

  1. Okay, Kelly-That is really, really, really cute!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, you are so creative. I'm jealous. My heart is soaring...high above the clouds.
    In a pretty pink hot air balloon! Thanks so much. Best wishes, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece! That would look gorgeous in a baby's room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of cheese! I think this is so cute! Just love it. It really caught my eye at our Super Saturday Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely piece of art! This is really cute. Thank you for linking up to the Weekend re-Treat Link Party!
    xo,
    Shannon
    www.akadesign.ca
    www.bloggersandbrands.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute and creative is this. I love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I love it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just adorable - what a great idea! It caught my eye over at The Inspiration Exchange Party.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hot air balloons, this is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.